Thursday, December 29, 2011

feeding solids: the hunger games

When Parker was around 3 months old I was so excited to try him on solid foods that I was literally counting the days down until he turned 4 months. I quickly realized that Parker was not ready for solids at 4 months old (shocker...there's a reason they recommend 6 months for most babies) so I would offer him solids every few days. At 6 months he seemed to get the hang of it, but by then I was fully aware of how messy eating solids was.

Sooo being the lazy person that I am, I would feed him one meal a day, on most days of the week. I kept this up until about a week ago, when I googled "feeding schedule for 8 month old." Holy neglectful mother! I almost panic when I read this (from http://www.babycenter.com/0_age-by-age-guide-to-feeding-your-baby_1400680.bc#articlesection4):

How much per day
  • 1/4 to 1/3 cup dairy (or 1/2 oz. cheese)
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup iron-fortified cereal
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup fruit
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup vegetables
  • 1/8 to 1/4 cup protein foods
Ooops! Apparently Parker is supposed to be eating more than I feed myself at this point. So I immediately start frantically shoving food in his mouth like the entire time he is awake. Needless to say, he was less than happy about all the food ("where's my babaaaaaaa?!!!").  I backed off and started feeding him twice a day, but this time I offered him two kinds of foods at each feed. This has been working nicely, and I will offer him a third meal in a week or so. In the meantime, I have just been a good mommy and have been cleaning up my messy eater.

Today Parker learned a new trick....i.e playing with his food. See video to follow. We are also working on Parker's next milestone: the coveted pincer grasp. This accomplishment will distinguish him as human vs. a baby ape...big milestone!! You can see from the video that it is a work in progress.




No comments:

Post a Comment